'near' and 'far' keywords

David Goodenough dg at lakart.UUCP
Mon Apr 18 23:34:21 AEST 1988

>From article <4811 at chinet.UUCP>, by dag at chinet.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser):
> In article <146 at obie.UUCP> wes at obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>>So why should we force these MS-DOSisms on the rest of the C-speaking
>>world? ..... Tell me, what does "near" mean on a 68000 system? .....
>
> Although I agree fully with Wes's comments about MS-DOSisms, the common
> extensions 'near' and 'far' can be used to some benifit in a 68000 compiler.
> The architecture of the 68000 is such that PC Relative calls and data
> references are faster and smaller than their absolute counterparts, .....

Yes, however that should be the job of the linker to spot which should be
used - someting like the jbr pseudo instruction on the PDP-11: it created
a short branch (+-127) if it could otherwise it created a long branch. With
the way optimizing compilers and related products are being created, I
refuse to believe that this is impossible.
--
	dg at lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!adelie!cfisun!lakart!dg	+-+-+ |
						  	  +---+