No gotos in Bourne shell (DCL ?? [ecch])

Ozan Yigit oz at yunexus.UUCP
Wed Apr 20 14:22:33 AEST 1988

In article <2592 at ttrdc.UUCP> levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:

>It is also "amusing" to "note" that DEC has done right well with its DCL which
>has yet to support a loop constructor of any kind other than GOTO.  VMS?  I
>hear you say?  What's THAT?!?!?

	This above must be a massive joke. You obviously have never used
	DCL!!  A year after starting to suffer DCL-Goto-pain-in-the-rear
	[even prep-h did not help], I adopted a C version of ratfor
	translator on top of DCL (A later version of that translator was
	posted to comp.sources.unix... it should take you about a day to
	make it generate DCL... try it :-)), so we can be rid of GOTOs.
	That was 5 years ago. DEC's VMS/DCL brain-damage was probably the
	most backward thing ever inflicted [in the name of RSX11
	compatibility no less] on computing professionals. [But than,
	that is DEC...  they wrote a stream-oriented programmable filter
	language, and when I asked its designers about AWK, I got blank
	stares...  They did not know what it was...]

	Yes... This is *very amusing* !!!

oz
--
... and they will all		Usenet: [decvax|ihnp4]!utzoo!yunexus!oz
bite the dust ... 	    		.......!uunet!mnetor!yunexus!oz