gotos

David Collier-Brown daveb at geac.UUCP
Thu Apr 14 22:34:50 AEST 1988

In article <2575 at ttrdc.UUCP> levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>You darn well know, if you'd take off your elitist blinders, that...

Gentlemen!
   Look back at the discussion to date before throwing assuming
Henry's being nasty: he was defending a proposal to charge $50.00
per goto, to discourage misuse.  The other gentleman was threatening
to throw him in the duckpond (:-).  This was a good-natured, if
spirited, debate.

   I like the $50.00 scheme, actually, although I do use gotos[1].
I figure it (the $50.00) is a good example of making engineering
tradeoffs explicit.

 --dave (a philosopher on the engineering faculty council...) c-b

[1] In time-critical inner loops to avoid returns, typically. See
    Knuth "Structured Programming with Go To Statements".
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor yunexus utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its