== vs =

Dave Cornutt dkc at hotlr.ATT
Sat Apr 2 07:59:45 AEST 1988

In article <2794 at mmintl.UUCP> franka at mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
 > In article <1390 at eneevax.UUCP> noise at eneevax.umd.edu.UUCP (Johnson Noise) writes:
 > >	I'm curious, is there anyone other than Ray Dunn that does
 > >not like = and == ?
 > I want to keep = and == with almost exactly the same syntax as they have
 > now.  The only difference is that = does not have as its value the result of
 > the assignment; instead its value is void.  A new operator, perhaps :=,
 > should be introduced, which has exactly the definition that = has now.

The only problem that I have with this is that multiple assignments, such as

a=b=c=d=e=f=g=0

would become:

a:=b:=c:=d:=e:=f:=g:=0

which is harder to type, and somehow not pleasing to my eye.  I'm not sure if
I'd want to make this change to C.  D is another matter; catching the
accidental misapplication of "=" in "if" statements would be worth it.

--
Dave Cornutt, AT&T Bell Labs (rm 4A406,x1088), Holmdel, NJ
UUCP:{ihnp4,allegra,cbosgd}!hotly!dkc