Bit Addressable Architectures

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sat Apr 16 07:35:57 AEST 1988

In article <259 at sdrc.UUCP> scjones at sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) writes:
-In article <7684 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
-> (I don't think the array name is turned into a pointer just because it's
-> surrounded by parentheses.)
-If it ain't, the compiler's broke!  The sizeof operator can be applied to a
-parenthesized type name or to an expression.  Since "foo" isn't a type name,
-the operand of sizeof is an expression.  When an array name appears in an
-expression and it's not the operand of & or sizeof (whose operand is the
-parenthesized express, remember), it's converted into a pointer to the first
-element.

My problem was that I couldn't find where in the dpANS the effect of
the parentheses operator was defined.  Is it in there somewhere?

Your explanation sounds right to me but I do want to see what we
say about the effect of parentheses.  Perhaps we removed too much!