standards development process

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Mon Apr 25 02:02:02 AEST 1988

In article <10811 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> lvc at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>At this point ANSI-C is so different than the C I know ...

How so?  It includes more than you are accustomed to, undoubtedly
(e.g. prototypes and type qualifiers), but it is substantially the
same language.  Most existing more-or-less portable C code should
continue to work under an ANSI C implementation with no change.
I expect that C compiler vendors will make every effort to supply
the same non-ANSI C extensions that their customers are already
using; for example, although <stdarg.h> is the new form for variadic
argument handling macros, most current implementations of <varargs.h>
will continue to be provided as extensions to the ANSI C environment.

Experiments wherein existing UNIX PCC-developed code has been
recompiled in an ANSI C environment have shown that most of it
works no worse than before.  Sounds like the same language to me.