gotos

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.UUCP
Wed Apr 20 04:24:30 AEST 1988

In article <1842 at faline.bellcore.com> purtill at math.mit.edu (Mark Purtill) writes:
>In any case, I fail to see how replacing a "return" with a "goto" will
>make it any less confusing, especially given that the label for the goto
>may be on the next page, or that the next person to deal with the code
>may add code after the label, etc.  All you've done is replace earlier
>"return"s with "goto label"s which may not really do what you want.

Do people still look at code on paper?  A reasonable editor can find goto's
and their targets no matter what page they are on.  In all the ranting about
writing code that is easy to maintain, no one has mentioned the things
that allow the usual tools to do more of the work for us.  For example,
making all (at least global) names unique to the point that grep can
find exactly the lines that use each one.

  Les Mikesell