a couple of random questions

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Fri Apr 15 02:05:52 AEST 1988

In article <530 at vsi.UUCP> friedl at vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
| [...]
|      Two random questions.  First, the word "entry" used to be a
| reserved keyword in C but appears to never have been used.  Does
| anybody know the direction it might have taken had its use been
| implemented?

  The FORTRAN version gave another name which could be called, like
another subroutine declaration. I think I used it once, just to see how
it worked.

|      Second, what is the portable way to rewind a Unix file
| descriptor?  On almost every machine I have ever used:
|
|         lseek(fd, (off_t)0, SEEK_SET);

Any implementation which doesn't use
	lseek(int, long, int)
In the K&R manner (pg 164) will break virtually every program which uses
the feature. I have to check dpANS on this, or someone can post and tell
me that they found some way to justify doing something else.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)