problem with -f flag in lex?

Tom Stockfisch tps at chem.ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 29 16:09:59 AEST 1988

In article <255 at stc-auts.UUCP> kak at stc-auts.UUCP (Kris Kugel) writes:

>On the suggestion of a fellow netter, I tried recompiling some
>lex code using the -f flag (no table compression) to see if I
>could speed it up some.

As I understand it, this is supposed to make lex create the lex.yy.c
file faster, at the expense of making the lex.yy.c file bigger.
Given that "cc lex.yy.c" takes an order of magnitude longer than
"lex lex.l", I don't know why anyone would want to use this flag.
Perhaps that's why no one has noticed till now that it doesn't work: