A tale of two C's.

Jerry Schwarz jss at hector.UUCP
Wed Apr 20 14:16:22 AEST 1988

In article <152 at ghostwheel.UUCP> ned at ghostwheel.aca.mcc.com.UUCP (Ned Nowotny) writes:

>Now, however, X3J11, in the interest of runaway optimization, has exploded
>the name space of the language by reserving a whole host of function, macro,
>and data names.  While it is true that almost everyone wants standard libraries
>with their C compilers which match the libraries developed over the years on
>systems running the various flavors of Unix, I can't believe a majority of C
>programmers want these library definitions rolled into the language.

What the dpANSI standard does is limit implementors in the names they
can remove from the user name space.  This is not an explosion of the
name space, but a control of it.  In the past many implementations
would give core dumps when the user wrote

	void write(n) int n ; { printf("%d\n",n) ; }

because "printf" called "write".  This will no longer be allowed.

Jerry Schwarz
Bell Labs, Murray Hill