volatile (in comp.lang.c)

John Mashey mash at mips.COM
Tue Apr 26 17:17:50 AEST 1988

In article <2642 at geac.UUCP> daveb at geac.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) writes:
>    It is interesting to note that there have not been, to date,
>**any** other discussion of the necessity of "volatile" et all, only
>of their desirability in a given language, taking their necessity as
>**a given**.

This is an assertion of non-fact.  There was such a discussion that
ran for about a week, a month or so ago, at least in comp.lang.c.
People gave examples of potential usage; some of us who have it and use
it said so; I observed that both of our kernels had about 200
instances of volatile, and we'd miss it a lot if it weren't there.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash at mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253