optimizers (was Re: volatile)

David Collier-Brown daveb at geac.UUCP
Mon Apr 11 06:16:32 AEST 1988

In article <150 at ghostwheel.UUCP> ned at ghostwheel.aca.mcc.com.UUCP (Ned Nowotny) writes:
|  ...  Just because a compiler
| can be made smart enough to move a loop invariant out of a loop does not
| mean that it is a good idea.  It makes more sense to just provide the
| programmer with a warning.  If the code is incorrect, the programmer
| learns something valuable...

  Hmmn.  I suspect that a source-to-source optimizer might be
worthwhile, expecially one which would annotate the source with
some of its assumptions while doing so.
  It probably need not be written to be time- or space-efficent: I'd
take one written in prolong (oops! prolog).

 --dave
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor yunexus utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its