using (ugh! yetch!) assembler

Steven Ryan smryan at garth.UUCP
Fri Aug 5 06:23:30 AEST 1988

>                                                 I wonder how difficult it
>would be to use an overloaded operator weakly typed assembler.  Some think that
>C is this; maybe it was intended as a replacement for such an object, but it
>fails badly.

Compass macros can implement something akin to overloaded operators and typed
operands, although the 8-character limitation is difficult.

On the 205 assembler, Meta, our project had procs (=macros) to do things like

          WHILE      P,EQ,TRUE                    while p do
          IF         [T_EXP,L,EXP_OPCD],EQ,O_RADD   if t_exp[l].exp_opcd=o_rad
          THEN                                       then
          GFIELD     T_EXP,L,EXP_OP1,L                l:=t_exp[l].exp_opcd
          ELSE                                       else
          CALL       XYZ,[L,IN],[P,OUT]               xyz(l in,p out)
          IFEND                                     ifend
          WHILEND                                  whileend