Moving floating point values around

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Wed Aug 24 02:34:39 AEST 1988

In article <4256 at lynx.UUCP> m5 at lynx.UUCP (Mike McNally) writes:
| How naughty would it be for a compiler for the 386/387 (or 286/287 for that
| matter) to move floating-point values with 386 MOV instructions instead
| of FLD and FSTP?

  This is a particular win for the 386, since it's one instruction.
However, in looking for that construct in code, I conclude that it
doesn't happen often enough to be a big win overall. I'd like to see the
compiler do it as a matter of generating good code, but I wouldn't
expect to see any big change in running time from it.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)