Absolute size of 'short'

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.UUCP
Thu Aug 4 23:46:27 AEST 1988

In article <8300 at smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> A short is required to be at least 16 bits...

> There are undobtedly toy "C" implementations that don't follow
> the rules.

When one is trying to fit ones software into a microcontroller with
limited stack space, a compiler that expands a char to 16 bits on a
function call can equally well be considered a toy.

In this environment, of course, you aren't likely to be worried about
porting "news" to the machine, so of course ANSIness is relatively
unimportant. Still and all, categorizing compilers generating code
for tight environments as "toys" isn't very nice.

Sigh... shoulda stuck with FORTH.
--
Peter da Silva, Ferranti International Controls Corporation, sugar!ficc!peter.
"You made a TIME MACHINE out of a VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE?"