C++ (Was: Third public review of X3J11 C)

David Keppel pardo at june.cs.washington.edu
Tue Aug 30 04:21:55 AEST 1988

burgett at steel.UUCP (Michael Burgett) writes:
>have you "scientists" considered using an extensible language (like
>C++ :-)) to solve some of your woes??

Some have.  The School of Oceanography here has a major project trying
to put to gether a cannonical library of useful tools (e.g.,
statistics, curve fitting, data disply, ...) using C++.  To quote from
the chief programmer's .project:

Project: Evangelizing the true C++ to the heathen Fortran Oceanographers

Want to know more about C++?  Try:

    Bjarne Stroustroup "The C++ Programming Language"
    comp.lang.c++
    gnu.g++

My personal feeling: Since Sun/AT&T has announced (some ammount of
commitment) that they will be using C++ in future Un*xs and since some
major groups (such as Cray) have a committment to high-performance
compilers and C++ (appears to be) a good way to go about doing
scientific programming, I think that the quality if C++ compilers will
get good quite soon.

Want to know more about the Oceanography project?  Send me e-mail,
I'll try to get a project summary out to you.

	;-D on  ( Not involved with the project in any way )  Pardo
		    pardo at cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo