one large array in Pascal

Scott Schwartz schwartz at gondor.cs.psu.edu
Mon Aug 29 04:20:25 AEST 1988

In article <1268 at mcgill-vision.UUCP> der Mouse writes:
>In article <36174 at yale-celray.yale.UUCP> Bjorn Lisper writes:
>> Are "those
>> Pascal programs" maybe translated Fortran programs?
>
>I know of at least one which isn't: TeX.
>
>Why did Knuth do it this way?  I can only guess; I would guess that
>it's for some portability reason I am not aware of.

>From tex.web:

  @* \[4] String handling.
  Control sequence names and diagnostic messages are variable-length strings
  of seven-bit characters. Since \PASCAL\ does not have a well-developed string
  mechanism, \TeX\ does all of its string processing by homegrown methods.

  Elaborate facilities for dynamic strings are not needed, so all of the
  necessary operations can be handled with a simple data structure.

-- Scott Schwartz     schwartz at gondor.cs.psu.edu    schwartz at psuvaxg.bitnet