Portability across architectures..

Dan DeClerck dandc at simsdevl.UUCP
Sat Aug 27 04:08:08 AEST 1988

I've run across a need to have data files in various forms of UN*X
be portable to each other. Mostly, this deals with Intel to Motorola and
vice-versa. I could write data out to files in ASCII, but this is cumbersome,
slow and may hamper the products' marketability.

The problem lies in writing integers as well as structures to files, and allow those files to be transferred between a multitude of machines without a data transformation taking place.

A fellow programmer suggested an "XDR" standard from SUN, but this seems to only work with inter-process communication. Has anyone encountered this problem??

Motorola SIMS development group...     "SIMS", it anticipates every need.....
Schaumburg, Il