Absolute size of 'short'

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue Aug 30 00:43:21 AEST 1988

In article <625 at proxftl.UUCP>, bill at proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
> In article <11941 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen)
    writes about 'int*6' as a portable declaration for a 6 byte integer.

> That might be a good idea: allow an [unsigned] int*size (which
> should be in bits since the standard defines things in terms of
> bits) which, if the size is greater than 32 bits, is ...?  The

Make it 'int:size' to provide textual consitency with bit-feilds. Also,
it shuld be signed. If you want an unsigned, make it 'unsigned int:size'.

> The best way to get this is for some compiler writers to put it
> into their compiler.

I put something like it into Small-C once, but nobody but me ever saw it.

I wanna say 'int:9 color' or 'int color:9' and only use up one byte
on a Honeywell or Sperry.
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter at ficc.uu.net