"Numerical Recipes in C" is nonportable code

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.ARPA
Wed Aug 31 19:07:06 AEST 1988

In article <531 at accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> rob at kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) writes:
>>Such an implementation will ABORT ON THE COMPUTATION `b - 1',
>So the standard says, they tell me.  It is also one the more flagrant
>violations of the Principle of Least Astonishment I've seen in a
>while.

Sorry, but reality is sometimes astonishing.
That is not an X3J11 invention, just an acknowledgement of the
way the world is.  (For example, segmented architectures.)

>Gentlemen >system programmers, surely you too have algorithms that are
>more accurately expressed with arrays from other than base zero?

I doubt that even lady system programmers have much trouble with
0-based arrays.