Need C language Description

feldmark at hanako.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET feldmark at hanako.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET
Thu Aug 4 17:59:43 AEST 1988

In article <458 at ssp15.idca.tds.philips.nl> jos at philapd.UUCP writes:

> In "C: A Reference Manual", written by Harbison & Steele, a LALR(1) grammar
> is included in an appendix. You *should* be able to feed it to YACC, for
> instance, but I have never tried it!

I haven't looked at this book in particular, but if it is anything
like what appears in K&R, it is probably possible but requires
modifications.  A long time ago in a place far far away we had to
write a C compiler and were advised NOT to use what's in the back of
K&R because YACC couldn't process it correctly.  Most of us paid
little attention, made some modifications which I don' t remember, and
came out OK.

If you have the time to search for it and understand it, look for the
YACC source for  the UNIX C compiler. We didn't find out it was there
until we were almost finished, so it didn't help much, if you know
before you start, it might be useful.  :-)

Mark Feldman
Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd.
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
feldmark at hanako.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet (Japan)