Getchar w/wout echo

Scott Wilson swilson%thetone at Sun.COM
Sat Aug 20 10:57:27 AEST 1988

In article <371 at marob.MASA.COM> daveh at marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>Isn't ioctl(), stty(), or fcntl() [or similar device management routine] in
>the same manual as getchar() [no flames about different volumes, please :-)] ?

Again, the system with which I have the problem is THINK's LightspeedC on
a Macintosh.  No there isn't ioctl(), stty(), fcntl(), terminals,
terminal emulation windows, or terminal drivers.  Making a window look
like a terminal is a function of the C libraries.  And, again, the problem is
that standards like ANSI appear to leave echoing alone because it is an
OS issue.  My question is how do we get getchars that behave similarly
on different systems when for some implementations it falls under the
responsibility of the C libraries because the OS doesn't have terminal
support.

Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson at sun.com
Sun Microsystems	uucp: ...!sun!swilson
Mt. View, CA