How many stacks?

Steven Ryan smryan at garth.UUCP
Tue Aug 30 06:12:08 AEST 1988

>Yes he has.  A `stack', as he was using the term, refers to a
>particular way of using memory.  What he has is a linked list.
>Both have the characteristics you need for implementing
>recursion.
>
>There is a use of `stack' that refers to any way of doing LIFO
>but that use does *not* talk about implementation.  Since the
>original discussion was talking about stacks in the sense of
>hardware stacks or memory set aside for a stack, this use is
>irrelevant.

Since I'm partly responsible, let me say I was talking about stacks as an
abstract type not a PDP-11 style implementation.

Before everybody gets all hot and botherred and say this is not a PDP-11
issue, may I remind you not all machines provide two address spaces for
a task. If all code and data goes into a single address space, the stack
implementation is inherently messy.