VMS C file type and stdio - help!

Eric Gisin egisin at watmath.waterloo.edu
Fri Aug 26 08:32:05 AEST 1988

In article <618 at philmds.UUCP>, leo at philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:
> In article <20448 at watmath.waterloo.edu> egisin at watmath.waterloo.edu (Eric Gisin) writes:
> |You can create the file in C as a stream-LF file,
> |then change the file type to binary stream (UDF, no record attribute).
> To convert file types in VMS, use convert ( 8-).

The convert utility does not do what they wanted.
It will expect the input file to have a valid record
structure, which is generally not the case when binary
data is written by C programs. Convert will also "drop" '\n's,
and start a new record.

What I meant is change the file type in the "file header"
(I forget the correct term, I'm refering to the on-disk
equivalent of the FAB) without changing the file data.