Self-modifying code

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Thu Aug 4 03:56:47 AEST 1988

In article <6490 at megaron.arizona.edu> mike at arizona.edu (Mike Coffin) writes:
>4. Code is simple enough for a human programmer to figure out easily
>given "deep" knowledge about what the program is doing, in which case
>a compiler has big troubles figuring out almost anything...

Well, remember, I'm not talking about proof of correctness; all I want
is absence of runtime errors.  Even so, I concede that this sort of thing
is likely to happen now and then.  Having to turn the checking off once
in a while (and, preferably, having to justify this in writing) still
strikes me as better than not having it at all.
--
MSDOS is not dead, it just     |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
smells that way.               | uunet!mnetor!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu