Getchar w/wout echo

Eric Gisin egisin at watmath.waterloo.edu
Sun Aug 21 01:34:33 AEST 1988

In article <65071 at sun.uucp>, swilson%thetone at Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) writes:
> Again, the system with which I have the problem is THINK's LightspeedC on
> a Macintosh.  No there isn't ioctl(), stty(), fcntl(), terminals,
> terminal emulation windows, or terminal drivers.  Making a window look
> like a terminal is a function of the C libraries.  And, again, the problem is
> that standards like ANSI appear to leave echoing alone because it is an
> OS issue.  My question is how do we get getchars that behave similarly
> on different systems when for some implementations it falls under the
> responsibility of the C libraries because the OS doesn't have terminal
> support.

If the OS doesn't have terminal support,
the C library should support it,
and it should be the *default* for un-redirected stdout/stdin.
If the programmer wants unechoed keyboard input,
they can call non-portable OS functions.
If LightspeedC doesn't work that way,
complain to THINK, or get better compiler.