Machines for testing portability (was Re: "Numerical Recipes in C" is nonportable code)

T. William Wells bill at proxftl.UUCP
Tue Aug 30 17:15:10 AEST 1988

In article <1673 at dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright at dataio.Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
: The best way to learn to write portable code is to be required to port
: your applications to Vaxes, 68000s, and PCs. (I have all 3 on my desk!)

We find that using 68000's (Suns and Macintoshes) and IBM-PC's
(in the various memory models) is sufficient to catch most
portability problems.  Especially since we avoid as much as
possible using system provided libraries and do not do terminal
I/O except through standard I/O.

Anybody else have suggestions on sets of systems for checking
portability?  And how about portability between different system
libraries and different terminal handling schemes, a problem we
don't (yet) have because we ignore it?

---
Bill
novavax!proxftl!bill