Need C language Description

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Wed Aug 3 09:37:58 AEST 1988

In article <1112 at garth.UUCP> smryan at garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) writes:
>...something like the PL/I
>definition or the Revised Algol 68 Report. Formal syntax, context free and
>context sensitive, and formal semantics.
>
>If there was a formal definition, three-quarters of the topics in
>comp.lang.c would never appear.

Ho ho.  No, it's not that simple.  The problem with formal definitions like
the PL/I definition and the Revised Algol 68 Report is that they are
hideously unreadable.  X3J11 talked about the possibility earlier on, and
quickly rejected it, on the grounds that a less formal description was far
more accessible to users and implementors.
--
MSDOS is not dead, it just     |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
smells that way.               | uunet!mnetor!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu