VMS C file type and stdio - help!

Eric Gisin egisin at watmath.waterloo.edu
Sat Aug 20 00:48:40 AEST 1988

In article <3689 at bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

> create a binary file under VAX/VMS that allows arbitrary seeks:  There
> is no ideal solution (other than switching to UNIX, of course), but you
> can get by if you use stream-LF files.

You can create the file in C as a stream-LF file,
then change the file type to binary stream (UDF, no record attribute).
Kermit will be able to handle UDF files unless it goes
out of its way to disallow them.
I haven't programmed VMS in a long time, but I think
changing file types is done with an undocumented RMS function,
or with a disk ACP QIO function. (I don't have access to manuals)