Getchar w/wout echo

T. William Wells bill at proxftl.UUCP
Sat Aug 27 00:14:41 AEST 1988

In article <65197 at sun.uucp> alanf%smile at Sun.COM (Alan Fargusson) writes:
: I have always thought that this was an omission in the stdio I/O library.
: If turning echo on and off was defined as part of fread, fwrite, printf, ...
: then there would be no problem.  As it is now you kind of take your chances
: with various version of UNIX, and non UNIX systems are hopeless (as far as
: portability that is).

It is remotely possible that requiring echoing could be put into
the standard as an "editorial change".  There is not a chance in
hell that control of echoing will.  I seriously doubt that it
ever will, as there are important systems where turning off
echoing is *not* possible since echoing is done by parts of the
hardware that can't be affected by the system.

---
Bill
novavax!proxftl!bill