Third public review of X3J11 C

Michael Burgett burgett at steel.COM
Tue Aug 30 00:36:23 AEST 1988

In article <4628 at saturn.ucsc.edu> joseph at chromo.ucsc.edu (Joseph Reger) writes:
#he  had  had  invented the language C, and as if he were the only
#authority to decide just who is permitted to use it.  The  humble
#proposition was to make a _few_ changes that would _not_ make the
#language more complex, or bigger or more difficult  to  implement
#or whatever the usual "arguments" against these are. I am pulling
#out from this debate now and just would like to comment  that  it
#is  ending  yet another time where it sadly usually does: "Scien-
#tist go home, you buggers program in YOUR language not in OURS."
[...]
#Joseph D. Reger,	joseph at chromo.ucsc.edu

not so Mr. Reger, you misrepresent what I said.  I lay no special *claim* to
the C language nor pretend to make decisions on who may or may not use it.
I do contend that :

	a) The ANSI C Committee seems to have done their job in standardizing
	current practice (as opposed to implementing anyone's wish list.)

	b) EVERYONE is welcome to use C and I greatly ENCOURAGE this.  I have
	been evangelizing C for some time now and will continue to do so.
	what I don't approve of is attempts to make C the best language for
	all applications at the expense of it beautiful simplicity and
	compactness...  This is akin to taking a set of brushes and
	paints after the Mona Lisa because you don't like her smile... :-)

have you "scientists" considered using an extensible language (like C++ :-))
to solve some of your woes??

	Mike Burgett

"my intellectual work belongs to my employer, but my flames are my own."

(and yes I'mm proud of them!)