Moving floating point values around

Sean Fagan seanf at sco.COM
Thu Aug 25 03:33:13 AEST 1988

In article <4256 at lynx.UUCP> m5 at lynx.UUCP (Mike McNally) writes:
>How naughty would it be for a compiler for the 386/387 (or 286/287 for that
>matter) to move floating-point values with 386 MOV instructions instead
>of FLD and FSTP?

If I remember correctly, both our '286 and '386 compilers will generate MOVS
instructions to push FP-values on the stack;  they might (I haven't checked)
even generate them for non-stack-pushes.  Yep, just dropped into a subshell
and checked:  neither compiler will uses FLD and FSTP if possible (what if
you don't have an FPU?!  Horror!).

--
Sean Eric Fagan  |  "An Amdahl mainframe is lots faster than a Vax 750."
seanf at sco.UUCP   |      -- Charles Simmons (chuck at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com)