const, volatile, etc

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sun Dec 4 12:06:46 AEST 1988

In article <319 at aber-cs.UUCP> pcg at aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) writes
a great deal, but I will copy just the summary header line:

I think it is more accurate to say that, in the past, `cheaper' meant
using simpler languages with simpler compilers.  As time goes on, we
find that `cheaper' means using a higher level of abstraction, fancier
languages, fancier compilers.  The pattern repeats; the wheel goes
round and round: you can see it everywhere, not just in the history of
computers, but in the history of every technology.

`Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler.'  C
was that.  Is it any more?  For some time to come, I think so.  But I
think its days are numbered, as those of Fortran IV were---and clearly
so---years ago, and now F77.  There comes a time when an overhaul is
insufficient.  C is getting away with an overhaul, but it will not
last.  (Contrast the change from F77 to F8X, which is like putting the
old steamship in the swimming pool of a luxury super-liner: the old
boat is still there, but it is largely just for show.)

But I see I am getting philosophical in a technical group again.  (Must
be the roach poison.  My apartment building sprayed recently, and the
place needs airing out again....)