Imposed indentation standards don't work

Bill Carpenter wjc at ho5cad.ATT.COM
Wed Dec 28 07:36:45 AEST 1988

In article <eWLGd#1tHJD6=eric at snark.UUCP> eric at snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

> In general, I code in what I think of as "BSD/Allman" style with 4-space
> indent:

Given the chance, I always object to indents termed in numbers of
spaces.  If you had said "with 1-tab indent", I would have
internalized that as "my favorite number of spaces per tab when I look
at code".

Are there still text/code tools thought to be reasonable which do not
allow you to set your own sizes for tabs?

Even if we can't solve where the curly braces go, world peace, and
other hard problems, let's at least write this one off.  Indenting is
done with tabs, right?  Not spaces, and not combos of spaces and tabs,
right?
   Bill Carpenter         att!ho5cad!wjc  or  attmail!bill