Assembly or ....

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Wed Dec 7 13:28:04 AEST 1988

In article <818 at quintus.UUCP>, ok at quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
> (b) C with "asm" or "inline" can be made to generate any instruction.

AT&T's C compilers for the 3B2, from Issue 3 and up, have assembler
macros that let you do this kind of thing in a pretty nice manner.
For example, the familiar `spl' function in the kernel would be
implemented:

	asm void SPL(newpri)
	{
	%reg	newpri;			# if the arg is a register or
					# or an automatic variable
		spl newpri

	%con	newpri;			# if the arg is a constant

		movw	newpri, %r0
		spl	%r0
	}

The %XXX is roughly like a switch on the *type* of the argument
to the macro.  If it's a register or an auto variable, then call
`spl' directly, and if it's a constant then move it into a register
before calling `spl'.  There are facilities to generate temp labels
(for little loops and such), and I've found this real handy on the
rare occasions that I need to write asm.

     Steve

Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl at vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.                                 attmail!vsi!friedl
Santa Ana, CA  USA       +1 714 545 6442    {backbones}!vsi!friedl
Nancy Reagan on my new '89 Mustang GT Convertible: "Just say WOW!"