Tabs vs. Spaces

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Fri Dec 30 13:50:21 AEST 1988

In article <570 at tifsie.UUCP>, dennis at tifsie.UUCP (Dennis Draheim) writes:
> in article <WJC.88Dec27163645 at ho5cad.ho5cad.ATT.COM>, wjc at ho5cad.ATT.COM (Bill Carpenter) says:
> >
> > In article <eWLGd#1tHJD6=eric at snark.UUCP> eric at snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
> > Given the chance, I always object to indents termed in numbers of
> > spaces.  ...

> Why?

Because an indent is a single logical unit. Now I'm going to proceed to
either blow your mind or get myself locked away.

I prefer to edit code at ts=4, but I hate reading printed code like that.
I much prefer printing my code at ts=8. It makes it mor readable on the
more extensive printed page.

> Wrong.  Tabs are inherently evil.

Nonesense. Tabs are just a convention. Indenting one tabstop is just a
convention and a sop to the fact that nobody has ever produced a popular
language-directed editor for 'C'. If your equipment can't deal with them,
just say 'stty tabs'.
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.   `-_-'
Home: bigtex!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.uu.net.                 'U`
Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.