Two more common C compiler bugs

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Dec 3 18:46:57 AEST 1988

In article <2432 at cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc at cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>The compiler thought the comparison of v to exit was invalid.

The PCC compiler that Berkeley "borrowed" did not grok pointers to
functions returing void, but it accepted declarations of them.
Vendors who started with Berkeley's copy of the compiler instead
of a more modern one spread the bug around.  It's been fixed in
the current 4.3BSD release, I believe (I don't use the Berkeley
compiler; because of that and other bugs I ported the SVR1 VAX
version for the BRL System V emulation on VAX 4.nBSD).