Assembly or ....

Peter Desnoyers desnoyer at Apple.COM
Thu Dec 1 03:27:13 AEST 1988

In article <1034 at l.cc.purdue.edu> cik at l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:

>I do not know if I made it clear in my initial posting, but the problem
>arises if the types of a, b, and c are floating.  Not that the quote from
>my paper specifically has i an integer.

This was only implicitly stated, at best, in the original posting by
use of Fortran variable naming conventions. I read the article in
comp.lang.c. Enough said. Now that I understand the original question,
I have a new answer -

 There is no natural divide-type operation mapping (real,real) ->
(real,integer). The operation mentioned was either poorly defined, or
merely consisted of:
  convert a, b to int
  div a,b -> int quotient, remainder
  convert remainder to float

If what you mean is that for any integer or floating-point operation
op(i1,i2,...in,o1,o2...,om) with n inputs 'i' and m outputs 'o', the
full set of 2^^n+m combinations of i1 : {int, float}, ... om : {int,
float} should be supported as hardware instructions, then the idea is
patently absurd.

				Peter Desnoyers