sprintf(3s) query

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Wed Dec 14 16:47:54 AEST 1988

In article <8131 at ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen at ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
>Funny you should mention Sun and sprintf().  I have just
>learned the hard way that while most (???) C systems
>have sprintf return the number of characters written,
>the Sun version returns the buffer address!
>Let's hear it for STANDARD I/O Libraries!

yes, let's.  SunOS was originally based on 4.2BSD, and 4.2BSD sprintf()
returns the buffer address.  Why is that?  Because Berkeley ***DIDN'T***
change it!  AT&T changed the "standard" library!

And while we're bashing Sun, let's note that they are so unprincipled
that they provide the System V behaviour if you want it.  Just compile
your programs with /usr/5bin/cc.  What villains!  (Heavy irony.)