Proposal for a scientific look at C style choices

David Dyer-Bennet ddb at ns.UUCP
Fri Dec 30 03:10:09 AEST 1988

In article <132 at mole-end.UUCP> mat at mole-end.UUCP (Mark A Terribile) writes:
:Likewise, I generally write
:
:	if(    a->op == XNES_step
:	    && a->size <= XNES_bufsize
:	 ||    a->op == XNES_fix
:	    && a->size + a->leftover <= XNES_bufsize )
:	{
:		. . .

I've long had a pet theory that, for every legal point at which a line
could be broken, there is a "correct" indent for the resulting continuation
line.  It looks like you may have some similar strange ideas.

However, your strange idea violates one of MY basic concepts of code
formatting: indentation is something that takes place between the left
margin and the first character on the line, NOWHERE ELSE.  (Flame
retardant: this is my opinion; this is ONLY my opinion.  If this had
been objective reality, you would have done it my way and we wouldn't
be having this discussion.)
--
	-- David Dyer-Bennet
	...!{rutgers!dayton | amdahl!ems | uunet!rosevax}!umn-cs!ns!ddb