down

Sun NCAA matthew at sunpix.UUCP
Mon Dec 12 07:58:26 AEST 1988

In article <gables.352 at umigw.miami.edu>, slores%gables.span at umigw.miami.edu (Stanislaw L. Olejniczak) writes:
> PLEASE don't flame for posting too simple a question.  I think the following
> SHOULD work, but will not even compile:
> 	while ( (c = getchar) != EOF)
> 		chcnt++ += (c == '\n');
> The purpose is to count characters in a file.  Each time a newline is
> encountered an additional character should be counted: when the file is
> transferred, a newline is CR-LF combination.

I'm not sure about the validity of the construct 'chcnt++ += (c == '\n');', but
I'd write your program scrap as:

        while ( (c = getchar) != EOF)
            {
            if (c == '\n')
                chcnt++;
            chcnt++;
            }

(Before closing, there is one logic flaw in your scrap of code. '(c == '\n')'
does not have to evaluate to an integer 1. It must only be a non-zero value if
true.)

--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"