const, volatile, noalias (was #defines with parameters)

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Fri Dec 2 11:34:10 AEST 1988

[not again!]

In article <9016 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>... "noalias" ... was an attempt to solve a real performance problem ...
>"volatile" also serves a need. ... it is transparent to virtually all
>existing code, it addresses a real need, and it can be ignored by anyone
>who does not specifically need it.

That---in particular the lattermost clause---is true of `volatile'; it
is not true of `noalias', at least as it was conceived and proposed.
It could only be ignored when not used, not even by library routines
called by routines called by you.  Having been through the arguments
before, I intend to omit them this time around and simply leave the
statement at that.