YALF (yet another lint foulup)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Fri Dec 16 04:14:26 AEST 1988

>Lint believes this simple program has both return(e); and just return;

"lint" has no way of knowing, given its somewhat unsophisticated
analysis, that the loop never terminates; if it *did* terminate, the
function *would* have something that amounts to just a "return;".

>I suppose this should be added to the canonical collection of lint foulups.

No, because there is actually an "lint" feature to be used in this case;
just stick

	/*NOTREACHED*/

after the loop in question to convince "lint" that the loop really
doesn't terminate.