Assembly or ....ok

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Dec 17 08:22:39 AEST 1988

In article <8215 at ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen at ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
>What is really extraordinary
>is that SubLogic's FS and FS-II have been
>ported to so many other machines besides the PClones.

My, how quickly we forget.  SubLOGIC developed their initial products,
including Flight Simulator, exclusively for the Apple II.  The original
Flight Simulator used monchrome line graphics; it was a big hit.

I'm waiting for an Apple IIGS version.  Because SubLOGIC built
everything the hard way (not only CPU-specific assembly code, but
also their own disk file system), it's taking them longer than it
would have to produce a new port like that.

The real question is, how much of that was really necessary?
I haven't tried to figure out their particular methods, but I know
of ways to do much of what is needed for Flight Simulator in C,
and I know of spiffier flight simulators on real graphics systems
that are coded entirely in C.