Assembly or ....ok

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri Dec 16 04:07:28 AEST 1988

In article <207600012 at s.cs.uiuc.edu> carroll at s.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>... One of their products is FlightSimulator (what MicroSoft puts
>their name on and sells as if they wrote it). The object code for it is
>far more than 1K long, and no compiler every matched it for speed or
>compactness...

This is arguably an unfair example, since the 80x86 is a model of how to
design a machine to make life difficult for compiler writers, unless
your program will fit in 64KB.  (The 80x86 is fun in other ways too, but
the >16-bit pointers are an unrelieved nightmare.)
--
"God willing, we will return." |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
-Eugene Cernan, the Moon, 1972 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu