Whitespace is your friend

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Thu Dec 22 19:45:37 AEST 1988

 >> Does anyone really have around any code that hasn't
 >> been converted to the new syntax by *now*?
 >
 >Heh-heh-heh. Naive, ain't he?

 >			card=NOVALUE;

 >#define NOVALUE	-1

Actually, the problem isn't that the code in question hasn't been
converted to the new syntax; the problem is that the code in question
fails if the old syntax is honored.  A compiler that accepts *only* the
new syntax will do the right thing with that statement, i.e. assign -1
to "card".  (Yes, I tried it on such a compiler - it worked.)

Nevertheless, White Space is Still Your Friend, since if you put the
white space in compilers that still honor the old syntax will do the
right thing as well.