Readdir, Opendir,...

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Dec 25 06:25:38 AEST 1988

In article <1198 at arctic.nprdc.arpa> snguyen at nprdc.arpa (Son Nguyen) writes:
>Does anyone know how to create these functions (readdir, opendir, seekdir,
>telldir,...,rewinddir) with either TURBO-C or Microsoft C  ?
>If so, can you send it a copy ?

These functions originated at Berkeley and helped in the transition to
the newer long-path-component filesystems, as well as more-or-less
transparent network file systems.  IEEE Std 1003.1 defines the current
standard for these functions.  I have a public-domain implementation
that I'll send you, but it's known to work only on UNIX (any flavor)
and ProDOS.  (A GS/OS generic version is in the works.)  Somebody
undoubtedly has adapted getdents() (the system-specific part of the
package) for MS-DOS, but I don't have that version.  (I would like to
receive one for unrestricted redistribution, though!)