Standard Indentation etc.

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Mon Dec 19 15:43:13 AEST 1988

In article <2477 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <879 at quintus.UUCP>, ok at quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>> 8 columns is _way_ too big for an indentation increment.

>Who said 8 columns? I said a tabstop. That can be anything you want.

No it can't, not and expect other people to make sense of your files.
I once had the extremely unpleasant experience of trying to read a
large software system which had been written on VMS with an editor
that took tab-stop = 4.  The UNIX terminal driver didn't believe this.
Neither did 'more'.  And 'expand' wasn't quite the answer, either, as
some of the tabs were in strings...  Neither can I convert tabs to 4
if your file has been through an editor or mailer on its way to me which
converts tabs to spaces (memories of DEC-10 <-> IBM/370, ugh).

Nope, if I have to _read_ your files, I'm going to use 'indent'.