Primos portability report

Bob Larson blarson at skat.usc.edu
Fri Feb 19 06:20:34 AEST 1988

In article <24599 at cca.CCA.COM> g-rh at CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
>Here is a gotcha for C programs which will be ported to PRIMOS.
>#include <stdio.h>
>FILE *ifptr = stdin;
>main(...) {....}
>breaks BIND, which crashes with the approximate message
>"IOBUF_: Attempt to reference undefined common."

I've run into this problem before.  std(in,out) cannout be assigned to
FILE * variables other than in main.  (Yes, I consider this a major bug.
Unfortunatly, prime doesn't always agree with me.)

>I haven't tested it on SEG.
Same problem, differnt eror message.  I havn't found a GOOD (no mod to
program source) workaround.

>Also, as far as I know, C programs should be compiled using the -oldfortran
>option.

Huh what?  Always use -newfortran or -32ix unless you have code
specificly writen for the old meathod of calling "fortran" (other
language) procedures.  (If you do have such code, I recomend fixing
it.) -32ix is a big win in some cases.

Ps: for those of you interested, note the info-prime mailing list address
below.
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson at Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson at skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson
Prime mailing list:	info-prime-request%fns1 at ecla.usc.edu
			oberon!fns1!info-prime-request