Machine specific predefined names

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Fri Feb 26 23:52:04 AEST 1988

In article <1988Feb25.080434.29615 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Don't flame him too loudly, Doug.  The crucial point here (implementations
>not allowed to reserve other non-_ names) is an *EXTREMELY SUBTLE* result
>of the wording in the current draft, so subtle that I can easily imagine
>even a compiler implementor missing it entirely.

Well, I'll let readers judge for themselves.  I posted the most relevant
draft proposed standard wording here; it sure didn't seem subtle to me.

Note that this has also been explained in this newsgroup and elsewhere
(for example, in journal articles by Plum and Jaeschke) many times previously.
It's not at all a recent development.